13 March 2009

Harrisons Rock - a working sketch

Last weekend I spent a very pleasant couple of days in Kent with my Sister and her family and on the Sunday morning we spent a few hours exploring Harrisons Rock, near Groombridge on the Kent, Sussex border. Surrounded by woods and some lovely walks, Harrisons Rock is a natural, sandstone formation formed over 150 million years ago and is today owned by rock climbers as detailed on the Soft Rock Climbing website, a few of whom we saw making the most of a lovely, sunny spring morning.

My working sketch of Harrisons Rock, which took approximately 3 hours from start to finish, has come out well and I'm really pleased with it.
I think my next step will be to expand on to larger, and probably coloured paper, in order to really emphasise the size of this formation. Even when I was taking some photos on that Sunday, my neck really began to ache as I looked higher and higher in to the tree canopy and I don't think my sketch has really bought that feeling to life. However, I love the colours I've incorporated into the scene, the swirls and patterns created by the tree roots and on the rock itself. Done in Pastel on A2 cartridge paper, I think this really has great potential for a great finished work.

1 comment:

Doolallysally said...

We are really pleased that you found inspiration when you came to stay with us. Miss E and I love this picture and we look forward to seeing more! love Salx