20 April 2009

An inspiring and peaceful day at Burghley


What a glorious day its been! From the moment I got up this morning the sun has been singing out its colours and I decided instantly that it was just too tempting to stay indoors. So I drove over to Stamford in Lincolnshire to Burghley House to wander around and soak up the warm spring day.
I've been inside Burghley House quite a few times and being indoors wasnt on my agenda today, so I headed straight to the spectacular Sculpture Gardens and the new Garden of Surprises. I've seen bits of this new garden on the TV and I wasnt dissappointed. The whole garden is full of troughs of water, fountains, curtains of water and generally its the ideal paradise for small children, who are actively encouraged to don swinsuits and play in the water spouts, wander through a mirror maze, touch everything and generally have a great time.

But my real aim was the Sculpture Garden and I'd been told they've been adding a great deal more sculptures so I was keen to get in and explore. I wasnt dissappointed either, along with the old favourites, there were some very interesting new ones, as well as ones that are more difficult to interpret!

I spent a good couple of hours meandering aimlessly about, totally engrossed in the sculptures, of which there must be over 50, most of which are very obvious but occassionally spotting one hi
dden away.

I've never had more than a passing interest in sculpture, although occassionally I'll see something that has more than average appeal, but its not something that holds great sway over me.

I then spent some time ambling around in the South Garden, normally closed and the private domain of the the Rock family who live at Burghley.


I had a lovely day, sunburn included (poor ol' skin, even with sun block on, its burns so quickly!) and got some nice pictures and a few sketches as well.

Snake's Head Fritillary - a spectacular display

2 comments:

Mary Adam said...

Really enjoyed reading about the trip and your day, it must be a lovely place.

a-again said...

Hi Mary, yes its truly a lovely house and the grounds are spectacular (my photos dont really do it justice!)I'm very glad you enjoyed reading my blog, I certainly enjoyed writing about it!